Email update from the university. Following is a glimpse of how it's done in the developed world:
“Dear Students, Faculty and Staff,
As we learn more by the hour about the spread of COVID-19 in the United States and around the world, it could be easy to get overwhelmed by the news. At the University of South Carolina, we take this global pandemic seriously. Although the days ahead will doubtlessly require us to adapt, we will remain resolute in our efforts to meet this unprecedented challenge together. Our decisions this past week have been based on three core principles that will continue to guide our response:
1. To protect the health, safety and welfare of our students, faculty, staff and campus community;
2. To limit the spread and mitigate the effects of the coronavirus in South Carolina;
3. To maintain excellence in all of our academic programs;
We make these decisions in consultation with the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control, the Centers for Disease Control and public health experts here at our university. We learned two important facts from our experts that speak directly to the health and safety of our community and informed our plan. If all students returned to campus immediately following spring break:
1. There would be a 100% chance that some students would have COVID-19, most likely during its incubation period;
2. Based on current models, within two weeks 30% of our students would likely have contracted the virus.
As of this morning, more than 200 colleges and universities across the United States have announced plans to suspend in-person classroom instruction and campus events for at least the next three weeks. None of us has made these decisions lightly.
We know you will continue to have questions about the next few weeks and the remainder of the semester. We will keep you updated every step of the way.
As Carolinians, we promise to demonstrate concern for others, their feelings and their need for the conditions which support their work and development. May we continue to take this to heart as we face the days and weeks ahead.”
Asm Fakhrul Islam | উৎস | তারিখ ও সময়: 2020-03-14 00:48:26